NO VIDEO AVAILABLE.
If you are the owner of this hotel and would like a free video made to show potential guests the facilities at the Portcullis Hotel, please get in touch.
The Hotel is small, friendly and family run. At present there are four rooms which are all en-suite and are equipped with central heating, tea & coffee making facilities, telephone and television. The rooms to the front of the building have wonderful views over the town and to the Ochil Hills beyond.
The Hotel itself was built in 1787 and its original purpose was serve the community as a school for boys. It stands on the site of the previous school which was demolished when it became too small. Indeed within the walls of the former building, King James VI of Scotland was educated - more than five centuries ago.
When the school again required larger premises and moved down the road, the building was used by the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders as a Military Store when the army was based at Stirling Castle. In subsequent years, after the army left the Castle, the property became a Hotel and that is how it remains today.